Wavy Hair How To Style?
Styling wavy hair can be tricky, but with the right techniques and products, you can achieve a beautiful, defined look. If you have wavy hair, it’s important to know how to style it so you can get the look you want. We’ve rounded up some tips from celebrity hairstylist Ryan Trysted, and top product picks that will help you accentuate your natural waves.
The first step is to ensure that your strands are clean. A clarifying shampoo can help remove buildup and product residue, making your strands more manageable.
Use A Curling Iron Or Wand
Learning to use the right curling iron or wand is the key to getting wavy hair. A good one will help create the curls you want and be gentle on your strands.
To begin, twirl 1 to 1.5-inch-wide sections of your hair around the wand. Hold for a few seconds and release.
Ensure your wand is set at the lowest temperature for the best results. That way, it won’t cause any damage to your tresses or cause frizz.
A curling iron with an even heat distribution, like this one from Hot Tools, is one of the top recommendations for styling your hair, according to several stylists we polled for this story. It’s intuitive to use and will heat up to 365 degrees, which is supposedly the ideal temperature for minimizing hair damage.
Apply A Hair Mask
Whether you’ve recently colored your hair, had it treated with chemicals, or simply have dry, damaged, or curly hair, a nourishing hair mask can help. But like any beauty product, choosing a mask that works best for your specific needs and condition is important.
Typically, hair masks are made with a blend of ingredients that help repair and rejuvenate your locks. In addition, they often include hydrating oils, nutrients, and antioxidants that restore lost moisture.
In addition to restoring moisture, some hair masks have been known to stimulate scalp circulation, which may lead to hair growth and reduce dandruff. In addition, some contain pomegranate oil, which can help reduce inflammation, boost blood flow to the scalp, and fight free radicals that may cause damage to the hair follicle.
Some Steps You Can Follow To Style Your Wavy Hair:
- Start with clean, damp hair: After washing your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, gently towel dry it, so it’s damp but not dripping wet.
- Apply a curl-defining product: Use a curl-defining product like a mousse, cream, or gel to help define your waves. Apply it evenly throughout your hair, scrunching it as you apply the product.
- Diffuse your hair: Use a diffuser attachment on your blow dryer and dry your hair with it on low heat. Place your hair into the diffuser and scrunch it as you go. Keep the dryer moving to avoid any heat damage.
- Finish with a hairspray: Once your hair is completely dry, finish the look with a light-hold hairspray to lock in the style and tame any frizz.
- Refresh your waves: Use a refreshing curl spray or a hydrating mist to refresh your waves on the second day. Apply it to your hair and scrunch your hair as you go.
Remember to use sulfate-free products and avoid using hot tools like flat irons or curling irons, which can damage your hair. With these tips, you can enjoy beautiful, defined waves!