How To Style Thick Curly Hair?
Shoulder Cut. If you have more thick or denser curls, a shoulder cut can allow your locks to frame your face. Be simple with no fringes or bangs, and make sure every curl is cut, so it doesn’t rest on top of the other. Your curls will appear sharp and defined, essential to nailing this style.
6 Curly Hair Care Tips From Dermatologists
Hair that’s naturally curly or even coy may be difficult to manage. Hair that is thick and curly is more susceptible to breaking and dryness than the other kinds. But, with the correct routine and products for hair care, you can keep your curls in good shape and looking great.
For hair that is curly, dermatologists with board certification offer this advice.
- Make sure to wash your hair only as necessary. Too often, washing curly hair can make it frizzy, dry, and difficult to manage. Curly, thick hair does not require washing every day or even weekly. But cleaning your hair at a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks is recommended for the best scalp health and healthy hair. If your hair gets curly or thick, clean it in sections to minimize the risk of damage or knots.
- Select a moisturizing shampoo specifically designed to be used on curly hair. If you usually style your hair using creams, gels, oils, or pomades, think about applying a clarifying shampoo before your moisturizing shampoo. Put on shower caps when bathing to keep your hair looking good between washes.
- Keep your hair moisturized. Curly hair is dryer than other types of hair. To keep your hair moisturized, you must condition all of your hair and not only the ends. Apply a thick conditioning product after shampooing your hair. Apply the oil or leave-in conditioner after conditioning and washing your hair. This will help with moisture.
- If your hair appears extremely dry or you’re having difficulty detangling your hair before washing, you can apply conditioner before shampooing your hair. Find a conditioner with ingredients like argan oil, Glycerin, and fatty alcohol, such as stearyl alcohol or cetyl alcohol.
- Take care of your hair. If you take a long time between washings and develop dandruff, it could be because of the excess production of oils on the scalp. However, dandruff shampoo can dry your hair. Apply the shampoo for dandruff only to your scalp, and let it sit for between 2 and 10 minutes or the duration stated on the label before washing.
- Apply moisturizer shampoo on the remaining part of the hair. If you suffer from dandruff, A dermatologist who is board certified will also recommend a medication for your scalp.
- Untangle your hair. Hair with curly ends can be knotted easily. To untangle it between washes, make sure your hair is thoroughly wet and put on a conditioning leave-in. Untangle using the fingers of your hands or with a comb or brush specifically made for oily or curly hair.
- Separate your hair into sections to make the process of detangling much simpler. Do not brush your hair when it’s dry to prevent the hair’s structure from breaking or frizzing. It is important to remove any knots while you wash your hair.
- Keep your curls safe from sun damage. Sun’s heat and harmful ultraviolet radiations can dry out curly hair. To keep your curls protected, cover them with a wide-brimmed hat and ensure that your hair is well-hydrated.
- Make sure you take care of your hair when you’re asleep. If you’re in a position, you can braid the hair in a ponytail lose the top of your head (resembling an oblong) or braid it loosely before bed to keep your curls and lessen the friction between your pillow case and your hair that can cause your hair curly, and even more difficult to break.
Our Definitive Expert Guide To Styling Your Curly Hair
It could sound like a lot of hyperbole to describe learning how the art of styling your hair is like a “journey,” but when you’re sporting a beautiful curly hairstyle, it’s the only description to use. Growing up as a child with naturally curly hair isn’t easy when you don’t have the opportunity to share your hair’s texture with your friends or family members who can guide you on how to care for it.
I’ve experienced it myself: As a teenager, I used to look at people with straight, smooth hair and wondered why the same brushes or blow dryers they were using made me appear like a poodle with curly hair.
“One key to unlocking your best curly hair is maintaining structure and pattern with a dispersion of moisture to keep the curl pattern fresh,” Hair specialist Philip B. “Structure is a natural process in the shape of hair and its spring. When you use the correct measures, curly curls will remain more voluminous for longer.”
After years of playing around with my mirror, reading and watching numerous tutorials, and getting an amount of assistance from my hair stylist, I finally came up with the best hair care routine for curly hair that helps my natural texture shine.
Caring for the curls and styling them may seem like a lot of work, but once you’ve perfected your haircare routine, you may be pleasantly surprised to discover that you’re working less on your hair daily.
So whether you’re just beginning your hair journey, or searching for fresh tools to add to the mix, read on for the top 17 haircare tips, tricks, and products to style every curly and wave.
Use A Curly-Hair Shampoo And Conditioner
Let’s get started with the first step: shampooing your hair. Since every person’s hair differs, it may be beneficial to purchase some small-sized shampoos and conditioners designed for curly hair and keep an eye on which ones work best. In general, however, it’s best to avoid using products with hair that is fine or thin.
Smoothing or hydrating products may make your curls heavier or cause them to become greasy; however, they’re great for keeping your curly hair tight and coils in a bouncy state (especially those with types 3, 4, and 5). Also, you’ll need a safe color formula if you have hair that has been dyed.
Our recommendation for a great first curly hair shampoo and conditioner set is Aveda’s Curly(TM) Set. The shampoo and conditioner are light and moisturizing enough to be suitable for all curly hairstyles due to wheat protein and organic aloe mix, which expands when hair is wet and retracts when dry, respectively, keeping your hair shiny and free of frizz. Another option is Philip B’s Mega Curl line.
“It’s formulated with time-released safflower oleosomes, botanical moisturizers that continue to hydrate and provide a moisture burst all day to leave hair super-soft, glossy and keeps the curls beautifully defined,” Philip B. Philip B.
To make the most of this pair of curl-enhancing combs to get the most out of this pair, only shampoo your hair’s roots to prevent drying out the moisture in the majority portion of your hair (this is especially crucial for those with dried hair).
Rinse thoroughly, and then apply conditioner from the middle of your lengths towards the ends to keep the hair’s roots from becoming greasy more quickly. Curls maintain their shape and retain moisture best when you don’t frequently wash your hair; therefore, taking a couple of days without washing is okay.
Use A Conditioning Mask Before You Shower
Philip B recommends using a hair mask at least once weekly to condition your hair and lock in moisture. This is essential if you’ve lightened your hair with highlights, balayage, or bleach. NATURELAB. TOKYO’s Repair Masque is excellent for reversing the damage and preventing the possibility of stressors in the future.
It’s created with Smart Keratin technology and bamboo stem cells of plants which help strengthen and strengthen your hair from the cuticle all the way down to the shaft, encouraging growth and improving the luster.
The best results are achieved when you apply the treatment before your shower so that it doesn’t compete with the water that soaks into your hair strands. Apply it from root to tip, then place your hair over your head and attach it with huge clips or shower caps. Let it soak for approximately five minutes.
Apply Your Styling Products In The Shower
Frizzy curls can appear when they begin drying, so it’s essential to apply your hair care products while your hair is wet. First, use a gel or serum specifically designed to seal in moisture, such as BRIOGEO HAIR Care Curl Charisma(tm) Rice Amino and Quinoa Frizz Control Gel. This smoothing and sealing gel gives a soft hold to curly and wavy hair (patterns 2A-3C), enhancing texture and movement.
Use A T-Shirt, Then Air Dry
Drying your hair with air is the best method to maintain the form of your curls and keep them from getting damaged and frizzy; however, showing up to work or classes soaked isn’t a good idea, or leaving your home with your hair completely wet in winter. Utilize a T-shirt instead of towels when you’re required to soak off some moisture. The smooth, soft fabric won’t scratch your ringlets like an abrasive texture like a towel can.
After you’ve absorbed as much water as you can with the shirt, pour an orange-sized amount of OUAI Haircare Air Dry Foam into your hands and gently smudge it through your hair from the middle to the ends. The product will hold in the natural curl pattern of your hair while reducing frizz, and you won’t need to be concerned about your curls appearing uneven or frizzy.
Twist & Curl All You Want
If you’re suffering from cowlicks or sections that refuse to relax, work them while your hair is damp so that they dry in the style you prefer. You can twist small pieces at a time and then hold them in place with your scalp. You can braid small sections here and there or scrunch the entire head to help encourage curl.
Use a sea salt-based texturizer such as PLAYA Endless Summer Spray to assist you in reaching your goal. This product is made from cane sugar instead of alcohol, so it won’t dry you, and marine collagen makes your hair feel soft and full.
Use Coconut Oil
We’ve already mentioned that tight coils and tight curls (types 3 and 4) dry out faster than waves and could benefit from more love to maintain their shine and softness. In addition, the coconut oil that is raw and uncooked, the same kind that you have in your kitchen– penetrates deeply to help promote moisture from within particularly when applied directly on your scalp and your lengths.
For application, scoop the oil into the bowl, and either microwave it or blast it with the hairdryer for 15-30 minutes until it becomes a liquid. Scoop a tiny amount onto your head, and allow it to flow down the hairline toward your neck. Massage it into your scalp thoroughly by working it down from the root to the tip by concentrating it on the ends. It should be left to soak for at least an hour before normal shampooing and conditioning. (If raw coconut oil feels too heavy on your hair, consider using a coconut-infused product like PACIFICA BEARTY Coconut Pro Strong and Long creamy oil Mask for the same advantages.)
Mix-And-Match To Make Your Products
Have you tried every product, cream, and oil available worldwide and can’t find a solution? Make yourself a cocktail! Mixing various ingredients can be a great way to create new recipes that provide the body and weightlessness you’ve been looking for.
Here are some of our product combinations for curly hair to meet your every curl-related need:
- To achieve defined curls with less crunch: Mix the curling gel, such as IGK, the Hair The Rich Kids Coconut Oil Gel, and the smoothing oil for hair, such as the OUAI HAIRCARE Oil for Hair. Oil.
- To moisturize fine curls and avoid weight: Use a moisturizing conditioner such as ANDALOU NATURALS Argan Oil & Shea Moisture Rich Deep Conditioner using a sh sulfate-free such as BOING from UNITE Curl Shampoo.
- To create a lasting definition for thick hair: Combine a curling gel such as the TWISTED SISTA Curl Perfection Creme Gel and a moisturizing conditioner such as PACIFICA BEAUTY Coconut Long and Power-Strong Moisturizing Conditioner. Use a Diffuser.
- The first rule of using hot tools for curls: Never use a blow dryer not equipped with an applicator. The direct heat could cause frizz and cause damage. Instead, when you’re planning to blow dry your hair, use an attachment called a diffuser to distribute the heat throughout your hair so that your hair’s curls and coils maintain their shape. You’ll achieve the greatest volume by a blow dry with your hair on its side and placing tiny sections at once over the diffuser attachment.
- If your dryer does not include a diffuser, choose a universal attachment, like the CURLISTO Curlist travel diffuser. It works with all models, meaning you can attach it and go to drying.
Use A Wide-Toothed Comb Instead Of A Brush
For children with curly hair (and adults, too), using a brush through your hair may be a bit of torture. The trick is to let it go and instead use a detangling tool that works with your curls and not against them. A wide-toothed comb such as the CURLISTO Curlist Finger Comb will do the job without tears.
Always Brush Down-Up
The best method of removing curls is to begin from the tips and work toward the top. Divide your hair into 3-4 segments and work on the knots on the ends of one. After getting rid of knots, move to the middle lengths until you can use the comb or brush to the fullest extent from the root to the end. Then, move on to the following section.