How To Dress In The 80’s For A Party
The 1980s: an era that was filled with bright neons, shoulder pads, and iconic pop culture. It was when fashion was the defining factor, and individuality was the king of the hill. Whether you’re going to an 80’s 80s-themed event, celebrate nostalgia, or want to have some fun in your fashion, this blog will be the ultimate guide for dressing in the 80s for an event.
In this blog, we’ll go on an enthralling trip back to the 80s, examining the fashion, hairstyles, and makeup styles that were the defining elements of the decade. We’ll give you suggestions, techniques, tricks, and inspiration to help you create the perfect 80’s party attire that will entice guests as you become the center of the crowd.
We’ve got you covered from iconic fashion staples such as leg warmers and acid-washed jeans to stunning hairstyles and makeup that typified the decade. Whether you’re brand new to 80s style or looking to create your perfect throwback style, this guide will assist you in creating an unforgettable outfit that embodies the spirit of the 80s.
Get ready to enter an old-fashioned vehicle to explore the exciting and distinct world of 80’s fashion. It’s time to channel your inner Madonna or take on the role of Molly Ringwald and party like it’s 1989!
Understanding 80’s Fashion
The 1980s were a decade marked by bold and unique fashion. Knowing the fundamental aspects of fashion in the 1980s is vital to creating an authentic style for your party. Here are the most essential elements of fashion from the 80’s:
1. Bright Colors
The 1980s were full of colorful and eye-catching shades. Consider neon blues, electric pinks, and bright greens. Feel free to mix and match these vibrant hues in your ensemble.
2. Bold Patterns
The fashion of the 80s was characterized by the boldest patterns, ranging from huge checkerboards, polka dots, and wild animal designs. Incorporating these patterns into your clothes will instantly add to the 80’s style.
3. Shoulder Pads
Dressing up in power was a significant trend, as were shoulder pads, and essential items in dresses, blazers, and tops. They gave a strong and confident style to clothes.
4. Leg Warmers
Leg warmers, typically worn over tights or leggings, were an exercise-inspired fashion statement. They’re an enjoyable and valuable accessory to your outfit for a party.
5. High-Waisted Bottoms
High-waisted pants and jeans were fashionable in the 1980s. The pants were cinched around the waist and included a relaxed fit around the hips and the thighs.
6. Denim on Denim
The double denim style, or “Canadian tuxedo,” was trendy. Combining jeans and denim jackets was a standard and well-known style.
7. Off-the-Shoulder Tops
Flashdance was the name of the game that made off-shoulder tops popular. They covered either or both shoulders and were usually paired with tight-fitting trousers or leggings.
8. Leather and Lace
Leather jackets and lace-covered clothing accessories, such as blouses and gloves made of lace, were a fashion staple in the 1980s. They gave an edge and romantic look to clothes.
9. Athletic Wear
The fitness trend of the 1980s spawned the trend of athleisure. Add windbreakers, sweatbands, and even oversized t-shirts to give your outfit an athletic twist.
10. Accessorize Extravagantly
The 1980s were a time for accessories; the more you have, the better. Put on chunky jewelry, big belts, and statement earrings to finish your look.
Understanding these fundamental aspects of 80’s style can be the basis for a unique party dress. The 1980s were all about self-expression and taking risks with fashion, So don’t be scared to mix and mix these elements to create an original and memorable style for your 80s-themed party.
What Do You Wear To The 80’s For A Night Out
The 1980s were an era of fashion-forward style, and dressing for a party in the 80s is a fantastic way to enjoy yourself and show your imagination. Here are some suggestions for dressing up to look 80s-style:
- Pick bold and vibrant shades. The 80s were about showcasing your personality. Don’t hesitate to dress in bright colors like neon green, pink, and yellow. You can mix and match various colors and designs to create a truly distinctive style.
- Choose oversized clothes. Large blazers, sweaters and jackets were all the rage during the 1980s. It is also possible to wear oversize pants or jeans to create an edgier appearance.
- Put on some shoulder pads. Shoulder pads were a major trend during the 1980s. They could help give an imposing and confident style.
- Add some big jewellery and accessories. Large necklaces, earrings and bracelets were fashion-forward during the 1980s. It is also possible to add the headband, scarf or a sweatband to complete your style.
Here are some outfit ideas for a party in the 80s:
- For women: For women: You can put on an edgy miniskirt paired with an oversized cropped top and jacket. You could also wear an acid-washed jumpsuit with a graphic t-shirt with a jacket made of leather.
- For males: Men can put on an untucked pair of jeans with a polo and button-down shirt. Also, you can wear a windbreaker or tracksuit and sneakers.
- For all: You could also put on one of the following accessories: Leg warmers, fingerless gloves, neon sunglasses, and a fanny bag or a Rubik’s Cube necklace.
- Whatever you decide to wear, ensure that you are having fun! The 80s were about expression, So don’t be scared to try different styles.
Here are some more tips to dress in the 1980s fashion:
- Don’t be intimidated by mixing styles. The 1980s were a time of individuality, So don’t be scared mixing and matching various designs to make your own distinctive style.
- Be attentive to the small details. Accessories that are appropriate can transform an 80s outfit. Make sure to add big pieces of accessories, such as a headband or a pair of leg warmers, to finish your outfit.
- Have enjoyable! The 80s were focused on having fun. Therefore, ensure you’re having fun with your clothes. Don’t be afraid of trying new things and show your personality.
Wardrobe Essentials For An 80’s Party
To achieve your perfect 80’s-inspired party style, it’s important to have some accessories that evoke the essence of the time. Here’s a list of essential clothes and accessories to make an authentic 80’s look:
- Off-the-Shoulder Top: No matter if it’s a loose sweater or tight fitting t-shirt Off-the-shoulder tops were a iconic piece of fashion from the 80s. Opt for vibrant colors or striking patterns.
- High-Waisted Jeans: Choose jeans that are high on your waist, and usually offer a loose fit around the thighs and hips. Stone-wash or acid-wash jeans were especially well-liked.
- Leg Warmers: A classic accessory of the 80’s The leg warmers were usually worn over tights or leggings. Pick neon or pastel leg warmers for an accent of colour.
- Oversized Blazer: An oversized, structured Blazer with shoulder pads makes a great option to add to your 80’s wardrobe. It can be worn with high-waisted or miniskirts.
- Mini Skirt: If you want a feminine style, think about the vibrant miniskirt, which is short. It can be layered with leggings, tights, with an off-the-shoulder top.
- Fishnet Stockings: These add an extra punk edge to your look. Dress them up over skirts or with cut-off jeans for a more rugged 1980’s style.
- Bodysuit: Get in the spirit of the fitness trend by sporting an edgy, tight-fitting bodysuit. It’s a good match for high-waisted pants.
- Windbreaker Jacket: A big windbreaker, usually with striking patterns or colors, it is an iconic 80’s fashion piece. It can be worn open over clothes for a simple, informal style.
- Converse High-Tops: Classic high-top sneakers with bright patterns or colors are an excellent footwear option to dress up in your 80’s style.
- Scrunch Socks: Squeezing your socks was a 1980s fashion. Wear them with high heels to give you an extra flavor of nostalgia.
- Statement Belt: Select a large, attractive belt to tie your waist. It’s an easy method to spice up your style.
- Fanny Pack: Fashion of the 80s included the practical fanny pack. You can wear it over your waist or on your chest for fashion and comfort.
- Jelly Shoes: These transparent plastic shoes were very popular in the 1980s. They’re comfy and come in a variety of colors and styles.
- Sunglasses: These big large, bold sunglasses that feature vibrant frames are the ideal accessory to complete your 80’s style.
- Statement Earrings: Dangly, large earrings that add a splash of color can make an outfit look more attractive.
You can mix and match these essentials of your wardrobe to create your own unique 80’s party style. Be sure to take advantage of the decade’s passion for vibrant colors, bold patterns, and an uncompromising attitude to fashion. The 1980s were about expression, so be sure to experiment and enjoy your clothes.
Accessorizing Like It’s The 80’s
Accessories were a key aspect of fashion in the 80’s so the more accessories you put on the more, the more you could get. To really reflect the spirit of the era, take a look at the following accessories that will complete your look for a party in the 80s:
1. Chunky Jewelry
The over-sized, chunky jewelry of the 80s was a staple of 1980’s fashion. Put on bold, big necklaces, bracelets and earrings with vibrant, striking colors. Find pieces that have geometric designs or animal prints, as well as metallic designs.
2. Scrunch Socks
The scrunch socks were an iconic fashion of the 1980’s. They were often pastel or neon colors that were swung around the ankles. They look great with heels or high-top sneakers.
Then, stack colorful metal or plastic bracelets on your wrists to get the classic 80’s jangle. Mix and match various dimensions and textures to create a multi-layered style.
4. Lace Gloves
You can channel your inner Madonna by wearing Lace gloves. Lace gloves without fingers were the standard of 1980’s pop culture, and can add the glamour your look.
5. Wide Belts
Get your waist tightened by wearing a bold, wide belt. They often had big buckles and were paired over dresses, blazers or even over oversized tops.
6. Bandanas and Headbands
Make a headband or bandana around your forehead or use it as a scrunchie. They are available in a range of styles and colors. They can be a great method to bring in the 80’s look.
7. Statement Earrings
Big, vibrant, and eye-catching earrings were the norm in the 1980’s. You should look for dangling or hoop earrings that have a striking retro look.
The large-sized sunglasses that feature colorful lens or frames are an excellent option to add a touch of 80’s style to your outfit.
9. Funky Hats
You can add a fashionable beret, fedora, or a beanie that is slouchy to your attire. These hats make an impressive statement.
10. Jelly Shoes
Make sure to match your shoes to the time. The jelly shoes, with their transparent plastic style, are a comfortable and nostalgic option.
11. Statement Scarves
Put a vibrant, patterned scarf around your wrist, neck or even as headbands. The 80’s were all about bright colors and bold prints.
Wristbands and sweatbands were trendy because of their practicality and fashion. They can be worn around your wrists or in your forearms.
13. Fanny Pack
The bag was not just practical, but it was also a stylish accessory. Wrap it on your waist or carry it over your body to give an extra touch of 80’s.
The key to dressing in 80’s fashion is to go large in bold colors and vivid patterns. Combine and mix these pieces to create a unique and striking appearance for your 80’s themed party. The 80’s were about presenting yourself and your selection of accessories will be a major factor in getting that distinct 80’s look.
In the end, dressing up for an 80’s-themed party is not only about fashion, it’s about returning to an era of unlimited imagination and self-expression. The 1980s were a period where bold colors, extravagant accessories, and various styles were the norm. Through understanding the essential aspects of fashion in the 1980s and investing in essential wardrobe items such as off-the shoulder tops, high-waisted pants, as well as legwarmers, as well as adopting the art of styling with big accessories, such as scrunch socks, and other signature pieces to create an authentic and captivating 80’s party outfit.
The inspiration comes from classic films such as “The Breakfast Club” and famous musicians like Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Prince adds a dash of nostalgia and character to your attire. It doesn’t matter if you’re revisiting the glory days of your youth or experiencing the 80’s for the very first time be aware that the most important thing to an unforgettable 80’s party outfit is to be jolly make yourself stand out, and show off your individual fashion sense. It’s time to dance, party and have a blast just like 1989!